Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Raw Rundown & Stuff

So last night was the first episode of Monday Night Raw to air since I've started this blog. This is going to become a weekly Tuesday tradition where I recap Raw and the news, rumors and tidbits from around the world or professional wrestling.

I for one, happen to enjoy the WWE Network and sometimes the Raw Pre-Show is cool to watch. Lately though, they've moved the show to WWE Studios instead of being live at Raw and I disagree with this. It was awesome to see Superstars going on in the background and having things like Damien Sandow interrupt to cut "pipebomb" promos. My favorite thing of the Pre-Show though would have to be the BOGO offers they do. I may just pick up a "Bo-Lieve" shirt with that deal. Let's get into my humble thoughts on Raw and wrestling news.

  • Roman Reigns is very over. I worry about how he will perform when it comes time for a big one on one match, and if he doesn't show that he can deliver in that setting soon, he could end up facing a John Cena like backlash when he eventually wins the WWE World Heavyweight Championship.
  • There are a LOT of rematches on WWE programming. The Usos and Wyatts met for what seemed like the 50th time in the past month. The match was great, but it's happened a lot. Cesaro vs. Kofi Kingston and Randy Orton vs. Dean Ambrose are rematches that have only happened once recently so I'm not too upset about those. I just don't want another endless Santino & Emma vs. Fandango & Summer Rae/Layla saga.
  • Ever since the head writer was fired and Vince McMahon took over some of the writing duties, we've had some strange segments involving Stephanie. The vomit stuff was odd and the Vickie "whatever that substance is" in a bowl match was pretty bad. Raw didn't gross us out but the arm behind their backs Nikki Bella segment was just not good.
  • Rusev got the biggest win of his career over Rob Van Dam, who has been doing a splendid job of putting over talent so far. This was fine, but the severe lack of Jack Swagger was disappointing as he's been getting really good reactions lately. But, his Real American shtick may not be over in Canada so I guess I get that.
  •  Alberto Del Rio beat Dolph Ziggler in a preview for the Intercontinental Battle Royal. I wish we got a Tournament or Scramble match or something different instead of the Battle Royal. It's been done to death. Remember when these two had a World Title feud just last year?
  • I've always had high hopes for Cody Rhodes and I wish he was in Money in the Bank rather than doing this Stardust stuff. However, Cody continues to amaze with anything given to him as he is fantastic as Stardust. He plays off of his brother so well and they are great together. Damien Sandow also fits the mold of a guy who is making something work that shouldn't. I absolutely think he's better than this impersonator gimmick, but he's at least entertaining. 
  • Bret Hart is always good to see but he didn't do much on Raw. I see that he's going to be on the Highlight Reel on Main Event, which should be cool. Two Canadians in Canada, I can only assume the Wyatts ruin it.
  • I am a big fan and supporter of women's wrestling so seeing an actual storyline building is great to me. Paige playing nice with AJ should lead to her going all "Anti-Diva" crazy and giving us a great match at SummerSlam. The Funkadactyls splitting is cool too, but only because it could lead to a singles run for Naomi, who is impressive.
  • Bo Dallas is one of the most consistently entertaining things going in the WWE. Whether it's his classic final two appearances on NXT, battling El Torito or interrupting Daniel Bryan, he is nearly always golden.
  • The Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins feud is my favorite thing going right now. Two of the best guys on the roster in a classic old school "I hate you" feuds. Nothing fancy, just Ambrose wanting to beat the crap out of Rollins and it's working great. Plus, the Money in the Bank holder having to look over his shoulder just as much as the Champion is an interesting take that we've never seen before.
  • As most of you will find out, I am a huge Renee Young fan. She is the most likable personality in the WWE and she's gorgeous to boot. The news that she was added to the Superstars commentary table led me to watch a full episode of Superstars for the first time in a while and I enjoyed it. I'll be checking it out again this week for sure.
  • Santino Marella announced his retirement on a recent live event due to another neck injury. This sucks as you never want to see a guy forced to retire due to injury. He had a successful career and even though some people may not have liked his comedy character, he was more over than a LOT of guys. Hopefully he sticks around as a host on the WWE Network or something.
  • The last bit of news for now is the sneak peek of the Monday Night Wars show on the WWE Network. This aired last night at 11pm but I was unable to catch it so I can't comment too much on it. I did hear nothing but fantastic reviews for it and it's a show that I simply cannot wait for.
That's all for now guys. There will be another classic review up later and this Thursday will be the first "Top Ten Thursday" So, anyone who actually reads this, comment here or message me wherever you know me from with a top ten list that you'd be interested in reading. Thanks once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment