Sunday, August 23, 2015

SummerSlam Predictions


A prime example of the WWE's lazy booking can be found here. Instead of putting in the effort that it takes to book a competent Tag Team Title program, they just throw darts at team names on the wall and put them in a multi-team match. They did at WrestleMania and they're doing it here again. It's basically just been the three teams trading wins and losses while the champions do commentary. New Day is easily the best thing in the tag team division and should honestly win back the titles. That's what I'm going to pick here.

Winners: The New Day

Remember when Kevin Owens beat John Cena cleanly and everyone thought things were going to be amazing for him? Well, that win over Cena now looks like a complete fluke and he's now in a SummerSlam match that is sure to be good but kind of pointless. How much cooler would this be if Owens, you know, had the US Title? Anyway, I can totally see Owens losing for obvious reasons, but I've picked a lot of faces so far so I'm going with him. The fans will stay behind Cesaro if he loses in a good effort and that's what I see happening here. Should be the match of the night.

Winner: Kevin Owens

Heading to Battleground, I called these two the "oil and water" of the WWE. Both guys are good in their own right, but they almost never produce good matches. Outside of a Hell in a Cell match in 2010 and the Battleground match that turned out pretty good, I like none of their stuff. This should move to the Kickoff show or something. It's tempting me to rip my eyes out. I'll pick Sheamus here since the MITB winner gets jobbed out but wins once in a while and his current record against Orton has to be something like 6-119.

Winner: Sheamus

Remember that amazing Shield vs. Wyatt Family match at Elimination Chamber last year? Well, at SummerSlam this year, we get a diet version of it. I may be down on it but this has potential to be somewhat fun. A lot of people seem to be expecting the Dean Ambrose heel turn and part of me sees it too, but I'm going to pick it. Luke Harper is best suited to eat the pinfall here and I see that happening. Maybe Dean turns a bit later on in the feud.

Winner: Diet Shield

Man, this match just seems like it will suck. The fact that it couldn't happen at Battleground should have been a sign that it shouldn't happen period. But the WWE is sticking to their guns and giving it to us here. Miz is an extremely good heel, but he's had multiple runs with the belt within the past year or so. Big Show is always a possibility, but I have no desire to see that. I get the feeling that Ryback retains since he hasn't been able to have a good reign. Hopefully it turns around after this feud.

Winner: Ryback

Obviously the John Cena program did much more harm than it did good for Rusev. However, he has been far more entertaining in his new role. Honestly, along with Sasha Banks, Stardust and New Day, I look forward to Rusev segments more than anything else on Raw each week. Dolph Ziggler returning makes me feel like it will be a feel good story, but I've picked a ton of faces so far. Not only that, but Rusev has still only been pinned by two guys and I don't think that number grows here. Expect Ziggler and Lana to win the eventual mixed tag though.

Winner: Rusev

This is the right kind of celebrity involvement. You have someone who is a legit fan and is in phenomenal shape. I'm sure he can do whatever bumps are required of him and he should put his all into this considering how much he loves wrestling. Pairing the Green Arrow with the guy who does the Red Arrow makes sense, but King Barrett felt so out of place. Then, they did the Cosmic King thing and I was sold. This is the type of feud that you just enjoy and don't take too seriously. The celebrity wins here.

Winner: Neville and Stephen Amell

 I'm a massive Sasha Banks fan and I love Becky Lynch as well. I'm glad to see them getting a chance to shine but I'm still unsold on this whole thing. Giving them more time and saying "#DivasRevolution" 15 times per match doesn't actually make it a Divas Revolution. There needs to be more defined roles, better character development and for fucks sake, can someone tell the Bella Twins that they are heels? Don't do Daniel Bryan style kicks and try to rally the crowd. Anyway, this could either be fun or a clusterfuck. Either way, I get the feeling that Team PCB wins here. They are the clear faces and, with a heel Divas Champion, someone from that team needs to be next in line. I suspect it's Charlotte.

Winners: Team PCB

The booking of this SummerSlam is all wrong to me. I really wish that John Cena was having a big United States Title match away from the WWE Title picture. It's been refreshing to have him out of the title picture. What's going to happen at the end of this? Will the US Title go away or will they have the winner defend both? Part of me thinks that Seth Rollins will win to even the score after tapping out a few weeks ago but the other part of me is sticking to my guns and sticking to what I said earlier this year. I'm not picking against Cena until he loses one of these big feuds. It's why I picked him all three times in the feud with Owens, the last three times he faced Rusev and why I'm going with him here.

Winner: John Cena

 I think this is a terrible booking decision. Yes, you have the star power that you want on a big show like this, but everything about this feud, outside of the big brawl, has sucked. Brock Lesnar owns the Undertaker so now Undertaker has come back and is pretty much grumpy that he can't beat Brock. So what does he do? He costs him the WWE Title and kicks him in the dick. That sounds really in character for the Deadman. Also, regardless of the outcome, it's bad. If Undertaker loses, what was the point of him coming back here? If Brock loses, what was the point of him ending the streak and killing everything in his path over the last year? He can murder John Cena, Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins, but when he faces a 50 year old dick kicker, he just loses? Bad decision all around. I say Undertaker wins since Brock has mentioned that he wanted to repay guys like him and Rock for putting him over.

Winner: The Undertaker

2015 Prediction Record: 34-23
2014 Prediction Record: 22-18 (Only five PPVs)

1 comment:

  1. I have no predictions for this except one...

    It won't top Takeover Crooklyn. Oh and my email address is lenfamous3@gmail.com for your list. I'm in Statler & Waldorf mode for the next three plus hours.

    ReplyDelete