Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Random Match Reviews: reDRagon vs. The Time Splitters

Championship: IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title
Show: Power Struggle
Date: 11/8/14
Location: Osaka, Japan




I've said before that I truly believe the best tag team in wrestling currently is reDRagon. On the other side, you have one of my favorite wrestlers in Alex Shelley and his partner KUSHIDA, entering as the reigning IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Champions. Other than those obvious reasons, I chose to watch this because they actually have a match coming up in a few weeks for those same belts. Before watching this, I saw their first match, which took place in August of 2014. The match was a bit of a disappointment and the Time Splitters retained. reDRagon returned with a force, winning the Super Junior Tag Team Tournament to earn another shot. 

That's where we enter here. This was the match I wanted between these teams. You see, a lot of the IWGP Jr. Tag matches I've seen (which isn't that many to be honest) are very spot heavy and, while that can be fun, it's not something I want all the time. Here, they tease the high spots multiple times. Both teams stop the other from getting in big spots, so when those finally do hit, they mean more and get a better reaction. The focus from KUSHIDA and O'Reilly on the arms of their opponents is great and really makes me wonder if their interactions here sparked some intrigue to give them a big singles match the following year. The finishing sequence is excellent as a furious run is needed to win.

Match Time - 17:29 ****¼

No comments:

Post a Comment